PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education) and citizenship emphasises the holistic development of our pupils and encourages them to become healthy, independent and responsible members of society.
Aspects of PSHE
We encourage our pupils to play a positive role in contributing to the life of the school and the wider community. This builds confidence and their sense of self-worth. We teach pupils how society is organised and governed while ensuring that they experience the process of democracy through the school council. At Burlington School, we teach our students about rights and responsibilities, and they learn to appreciate what it means to be a positive member of modern society.
The aims of PSHE are to enable pupils to:
- Know and understand what constitutes a healthy lifestyle
- Be aware of safety issues
- Understand good relationships with others, including sex & relationship education
- Have respect for other individuals and different cultures, faiths and beliefs
- Be independent and responsible members of the school community
- Be positive and active members of a democratic society
- Develop self-confidence and self-esteem, while making informed choices regarding personal and social issues
- Develop good relationships with other members of the school and the wider community
- Accept responsibility for behaviour and distinguish right from wrong including respect for the civil and criminal law
Teaching and Learning Style
PSHE classes are timetabled for the whole school at the same time in order to offer pupils the opportunity to be grouped in mixed age or single sex groups and to hear visiting speakers either as a whole school or in Key Stages. We use a range of teaching and learning styles.
Examples of our teaching strategies include:
- Dissemination of information
- Mind mapping
- Use of stimulus material– videos and hypothetical scenarios
- Role play
- To allow pupils KS4 to continue with their Religious Studies, term lessons are integrated into the PSHE scheme of work and delivered during PSHE.
You can view our PSHE curriculum here
You can view our PSHE policies in this folder here.